One of the most important skills needed when fixing electronic equipments is soldering. A solder is a mixture of tin lead also classified as an alloy. This mixture can be melted using a soldering iron that can emit heat by as much as 200C. Anyone who nees to do some fixing or assembly of electronic devices must learn soldering. Since soldering requires the use of heat and toxic metals, be sure to observe the following safety procedure:
* Keep the tip of the soldering iron away from your body or clothes. It can burn your skin which can have irreversible effects plus the agonizing pain that goes with it.
* Take extra care when touching the main flex with the iron tip. The high heat present on the tip can melt the plastic as well burn the user himself.
*Keep the iron on the stand during idle time.This simple habit prevents any untoward incidents.
* Proper ventilation is required when soldering. The metals emit toxic smoke which can be diffused by good ventilation.
* Wash your hands to remove any form of poisonous materials.
At this point, you are ready to perform soldering on electronic components. This basic electronics guide suggests that familiarity with all the components that would be used is a great advantage. Soldering wrong parts can be very costly and even cause damage to other components in the board. In most cases, a basic electronics guide has a chart about electronic components. In here, a soldering procedure for components is provided for your guidance.
The basic electronics guide and procedure for soldering components
1. Get a sticky tape and stick all the necessary components on a piece of paper.
2. Determine the name and value of each components and write beside it.
3. Write the code (R1, R2, C1 etc.) if you think this would help.
Numerous projects from books and magazines place label on components with codes (R1, R2, C1, D1 etc.) which can make it easy for you because you can check their list and look for the codes.
4.Resistor values can be identified using the resistor colour code. You can also use a resistor calculator found online.
5. Capacitor values can be complicated because there are too many kinds with different labelling systems.
As long as you follow our basic electronics guide, you would always be safe and end up with a good solder.